company logo

Home Grape Varieties
Durello (red)
Durello (red)

A local variety of North East Italy. Durello is an Italian indigenous white wine grape originating from the province of Veneto. Today it is sparsely cultivated though some producers like to experiment with it since its high acid levels makes it suitable for sparkling wines.

History


The Durello vine (generally also called Durella) is of ancient autochtonal origin. In fact fossils, which were found in Vestenanova di Bolca in Val d'Alpone, witnessed its origin and are ancestors of the actual "vitis vinifera". Fuhter more, on one hand, an historical documentation dates back since almost two century ago, in 1750, the presence of Durello, if you consider its identification with the ancient "portrigde's eye" which was so called by Mr Acanti and Mr Maccà. On the other hand Durello dates back to the XIII century, in 1292, if you consider its identification with "durasena" written in the Communities Statute of Custoza. Recently Giulio da Schio wrote about Durello as a vine, which matured "sugared grape" spread on the hills of Arzignano.

 

Wine regions


This grape has been known since the XIII century and today is mostly grown in the Lessini hils area between the towns of Verona and Vicenza. The grape is used in a number of DOCs such as Lessini, Breganze, Gambellara, Lugana, Valdadige. Not very widespread outside the Veneto region.

 

Other regions


 




Viticulture and winemaking


 

The vineculture area of Durello is found on the hills between Verona and Vicenza in the Lessini mountains and contains the following communes- in the province of Verona: the communes of Vestenanova, San Giovanni Ilarione, part of Montecchia di Crosara, Roncà, Cazzano di Tramigna, Tregnago and Badia Calavena; -in the province of Vicenza: the communes of Arzignano, Castelgomberto, Chiampo, Brogliano, Marano Vicentino, Monte di Malo, Montebello Vic., Montecchio Maggiore, Montorso Vic., Nogarole Vic., S.Vito di Leguzzano, Schio and Zermeghedo. The soils of the hills are vulcanic with tufa. The climatic condition is tempered wet with hot summer.

Durello is a vigorous vine, able to adapt itself to several kind of calcareous or volcanic soils. The bounches of grapes are medium size, they have piramidal and compact form. The skin is thick, thougt and tannic. The vineculture area is not only located in Lessini mountains, but also, on the hills near Pontremoli in Alta Lunigiana. It is also recomended in the province of Massa Carrara. Peculiar characteristic of this wine, thanks to the high quantity of malic acid and the lively total acidity, is its vocation to be sparkled, fermented in bottle (Champenoise method) or in autoclave (Charmat method). As a matter of fact Durello has been sold in Germany to produce Sekt. Durello is fresh, lively, dry, a little bit acidulous and streight. It can be served as an aperitif. It accompains well fish, as in venetian tradition "baccalà alla vicentina" (dried salted cod), trout, oysters, but also starters, soups and omelette. Durello Doc is obtained from the vinification of different grapes varieties (disciplined by the law): Durello at no less than 85% which can be blended up to the rest 15% of others grape varieties namely Garganega, Trebbiano di Soave, Pinot bianco, Pinot nero and Chardonnay. The vineculture of Durello cover an area of about 530 hectars. The production of Durello wine amounts to 85000 q. yearly. There are 500 winefarms that produce Durello and about ten bottling farms.

 

 


© 2011. All Rights Reserved. Developed by ICM Solution (UK) Limited.